Monday, October 1, 2012

On the day you were born.

Hello little one, welcome to the world.  Let me tell you a little bit about the day you were born.  You are now 4 years old and a lot has happened and changed, but on the day you were born everything changed.

On the day you were born two people became parents.

On the day you were born I cried.  I cried out of happiness, and pain.  I cried with anticipation and agony. I wept and screamed and thought the night would never end. I'm not sure this will not change for many more years to come.

On the day you were born I wished for many things to be different.  I wished for you not to be born in that hospital, and I wished for you to have waited in my belly for a few more weeks, even after being in labor for 10 days. Then I saw you, and I was so happy you were here.  Nothing else mattered.

On the day you were born I learned what love is.  I learned what it means to love someone with all of my being and for the rest of my life.  I know that I will never love anyone the way I love you.  Loving you changes all the time. 

On the day you were born it was hot, it was so very hot.  The Santa Ana's had come in and it was over 100 degrees.  I was sweating like I had never sweat before but I walked around that hospital with two gowns on facing both front and back, supporting myself on the IV stand and walking as fast as I could to get a glimpse of you.

On the day you were born, you came too early.  You were not expected for another 3 weeks.  After I locked myself in the bathroom and yelled at everyone, I was laid on my back and felt you moving down inside of me.  I didn't think I could do it.  I didn't think I would ever see your face.  I didn't think I had the energy to keep going.  I didn't think I could.  But i did.  I wanted to see you and so I pushed you out. 

On the day you were born I felt empty on the inside after carrying you for 9 months.  I heard your cry and saw them care for you on the side.  I heard your Daddy's excited voice and his hands holding mine.  I saw your tiny body all white and pink.  I reached out for you as they put you on top of me.  Your face full as an apple and your juicy legs all cramped up.  You black head of spiky hair was something everyone talked about.

On the day you were born, it was midnight.  You crossed over to a new day which made the day feel like a week.  I couldn't sleep and wanted to be with you all the time.  I hated not being near you and not being able to walk for hours to hold you.

On the day you were born, I became your mother, and you became my child.  This will be us for the rest of our lives.  You will become someone more than my child, but to me you will always be a part of me.  I see you and all the wonderful things you do and am happy to be with you through it when we're together.

On the day you were born many people were waiting anxiously to hear about you and to see you.  Friends and family all over stayed up though the night and got on planes quickly to come see you.  You have changed our lives forever.

One the day you were born, the moon and the sun, the stars in the sky and all the animals, etc went on about their business.  However, your daddy and I stopped our lives to have you.  Our day was filled with excitement and happiness.  We were also a little scared and unprepared. 

On the day you were born, you were born to us, to this family, and to become the person you will become one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...